Sunday, August 22, 2010

High School Reunion

They are quite often involved in the plot of a movie or television show- the highly anticipated high school reunion. Last night was...gasp....my twenty year high school reunion that I did not attend.
Reason #1: I didn't feel like paying $30.00 to sit at dinner and make small talk with people I barely spoke with twenty years ago. ($60 if I made my husband go with me).
Reason #2: I knew my husband would be bored to death. He doesn't even like making small talk with people we invite over to our house, let alone people he has never met.
Reason #3: Aside from perhaps two friends I hung out with in H.S., I couldn't think of a single soul who would be attending that I knew very well at all. Many of my close friends from H.S. live in other states.
Reason #4: I see a few of the people I went to H.S. with (since I have lived in the town I went to school in for about 11 years). Some of them are friendly enough, but some think we should still have the same H.S. caste system of twenty years ago.
Reason #5: I wasn't unpopular in H.S. but I wasn't one of the "popular" kids. I never did go to a single "cool" party where drinking and making fools of oneself was the acceptable form of entertainment.
Reason #6: Honestly, aside from my fabulous children (which no one wants to hear about), I have nothing interesting going on in my life. As of Saturday I am jobless except for some tutoring and so is my husband who's newly acquired 2nd teaching credential is garnering him zero interviews.
Reason #7: I was tired and didn't feel like chit chat.
Reason #8: I doubt anyone would notice my absenteeism.
Reason #9: There is a multi-year reunion like every year around here!
Reason #10: I had nothing to wear and haven't had time to get a cute haircut lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment