Saturday, January 15, 2011

I'm not cool, but I've met cool people..does that count?

Okay, so I am not cool- not at all. About 8 years ago I had a student reference some music he was listening to and I realized I had never heard the song or the artist and didn't even know the genre of music. It was that day I knew I had crossed over. Over into old. I was 30. I know 30 isn't old, but for me it was the transition from youth and coolness into fuddy duddy. I didn't know the music, but worse still, I didn't care.

The funny part is, I am constantly surrounded by "cool" people. They wear designer jeans and the most "in" brand of shoes. Their iTunes has the most current, interesting music. They know what Vimeo is and what the best apps are for their phones. Their vocabulary is streaked with slang they actually use correctly.

My jeans are from Target. I bought my shoes on clearance at Fashion Bug. The last iTunes I downloaded was a free Christmas song. I have no clue what Vimeo is, although I am smart enough to figure it out if I cared. I have blocked the internet on my phone so I don't accidentally pocket dial and have to pay. I have never used the word "sick" for anything other than the traditional way, as in my daughter is puking.

We have established I am not cool, but I know cool people and I am meeting more all the time. Does that make me cooler by default, or just make me dorkier in their shadow? I've decided if I embrace my lack of coolness, I am happy either way.

But next post I am totally talking about all the cool people I am meeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment