Monday, May 3, 2010

Self-Fulfilling Stereotypes

I do honestly hate the term "white trash". It is just ugly. Here comes the 'but'. But, today I was sitting (for a very long time actually) in the waiting room of a local doctor's office. Actually, it is more like a health clinic that takes anyone, and lucky for me, I am anyone- the type of anyone who is too poor to afford "real" insurance and relies on more inexpensive forms of health care. That is an entirely differently post- the woes of state medical programs and the way you are treated if you do not have "real" insurance. 
Back to the waiting room. One hour is an awfully long time to be stuck in a waiting room with no reading material. I brought my alumni magazine with me but left it in the car (and heaven forbid I go to retrieve it, they call my name, and I miss my turn). So, I made lists on the back of a flyer, and did what I do best- watch people. 
If you are poor, as I believe we currently are, there is no just cause to act/look/behave like it. Does being poor prevent you from brushing your teeth? Does being poor prevent you from spending a minute combing your hair or applying deodorant? Does being poor cause you to crave having tattoos placed at the very edge of your butt crack so when you wear those cutoff jean shorts and skanky short tank top the rest of us get to view your ex husband's lovely face? Does being poor automatically make you have five children who don't wear shoes and  behave like monkeys in public? Does being poor mean you have to smell like cigarettes and invade the invisible personal waiting room space? There are other chairs a little further away from mine.
Does this make me prejudiced? Prejudiced against what, though? People who have no self respect? Well, then I guess I am. 

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. I see this all the time and it makes me angry. I have no money, I mean really, we are poor, but I make my children shower and I wear clothes that don't show my saggy 9-year post-baby belly or my butt tattoo. (Okay, I don't have a butt tattoo, but if I did, I wouldn't let strangers see it, I think.)

    ReplyDelete